Thursday 5 March 2009

Accoutrements

The world would be a different place if motorists had to take a huge padlock and chain, or massive D-lock, everywhere they went. Arriving at a supermarket this morning, I realised that I hadn't brought my lock with me. It didn't use to be a concern when I had a D-lock fitted in a bracket on the bike, but I don't anymore, so I have to remember to take a lock with me, which I hadn't.

What to do ? Ask the charity collector in the foyer to mind it ? Bother a security guard ? I put it in a corner, near a payphone, had a glance around to see if there was anyone around likely to nick it, then dashed in for a speed shop. It might have cost only £50 second-hand ten years ago, but to an opportunist ?

It must be hell to have a bike worth something. You'd need a lock worth the same again.

And let there be lights !

What if motorists had to take a pair of front and a pair of back headlights around with them, removing and attaching them every time they parked ? And what if bikes had built in lights, front and rear, mounted in the frame and pedal powered ? Not for £50 perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment